Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Day 60. 87 miles.


We arrived in Walla Walla, Washington after 45 miles. I had a flat, so I sat on the side of the road with my patch kit. Soon I realized that my tire was chock full of little thorns, which I had to remove with tweezers. After patching 5 punctures in a row, I gave up and threw in my spare tube. We hid in the public library for hours while the heat raged outside. Around 5:30pm, we decided to venture out again, knowing that the hottest part of the day was gone. But despite the late hour, the hot wind burned our eyeballs, and we adjusted our sunglasses to hug our faces as best we could. Later, we found out that the temperature had reached 114 degrees in eastern Washington on that day. We climbed a large hill and went down again, where we met the Colombia River. I found the perfect climbing tree and swung around in the branches as the stars began to appear. We slept alongside the river, where spiders the size of fifty-cent pieces hung out in the tall grasses that surrounded us on all sides. I woke up with spider webs coating my skin, and wrapped my tarp around myself to prevent the appearance of further strands.

Today we reached my goal of 3,500 miles.