Friday, July 14, 2006

Day 51. 64 miles.

After breakfast at Gail's house, I patched a flat on my B.O.B. trailer (we generally refer to him as Bob), and got back on the road for a rather late start.

Little did we know that today we would face--or fight--the fiercest wind we have experienced yet on this trip. We slowly struggled along for several hours.

Late in the afternoon, Piper acidentally slipped in a patch of gravel. As he tumbled in front of me, I swerved to avoid running over his head. Instead, I only kicked his head as I rode by (it was a mistake, honestly!). But Piper is a smart biker and wears his helmet, so the damage was minimal. There were a couple of drops of blood, but nothing to worry about, although Piper said it bruised his pride.



As the sun began to set, the wind died down quite a bit. We were able to put in some more miles at that point, but by 10pm we were exhausted from a hard day of fighting the wind. We really earned every mile we put in today.