Thursday, June 15, 2006

Day 19. 0 miles.


Perhaps the best part of this trip is re-learning solitude. Too often, I neglect spending time with myself, and I forget how to sit quietly and peacefully amidst the surrounding world of people and things. Every night on this trip, I have thought about how whole and beautiful it is to sleep outside in the fresh night air. I love bathing and doing laundry in a stream bed, and then air-drying in the sun. I love collecting wood sorrel, dandelion greens, and wild strawberries to snack on. I love taking the time to be outdoors and appreciate this earth that sustains us. In the jumble of people, school, and work, it's easy to forget that this wild natural beauty even exists.

Today we took a day to rest on the beach. We ate food, read books, did laundry, cleaned chains, etc. We also gave our quads, glutes, and hamstrings a rest from the fierce western winds. Healing time is still necessary in this stage of the journey.