Monday, June 05, 2006

Day 9. 56 miles.



We caught the ferry across Lake Champlain. Now some of you may call this cheating, but I will let you know that I rode my bike on and off that ferry--you really can't blame me if the ground happens to move beneath my feet, coincidentally bringing me closer to my final destination. We rode by Au Sable Chasm, the Wilmington Flume, Lake Placid, and the Adirondack Mountains (which turned out to be MUCH easier than the Greens or the Whites).The landscape of New York was stunningly beautiful, but once again we were drowning in precipitation by mid afternoon. At first, the cool rain felt nice. After awhile, it got old.

We stopped for some shelter by Lake Saranac, and the sun came out. We found an isolated rock by the shore and cooked beans and rice with tons of veggies for dinner. After we stuffed ourselves full of warm food, we wandered back to our bikes and rode off to find a camping spot for the night.