Thursday, June 15, 2006

Day 21. 82 miles.


One might think that riding through Cleveland, Ohio would take only a small portion of a day, leaving hours to push through other parts of the state. But the reality is that the city of Cleveland actually sprawls on for 80 miles.

But I do enjoy the urban areas. Time flies when there are constant obstacles to watch out for, twists and turns that throw you off of your route, and the wild energy of a dense body of people. I dig city riding.

After falsely exiting the city, we pulled over at a park above a marina on Lake Erie, and made a warm dinner.

I am beginning to feel as though I am not really on a biking vacation, but that I am actually taking an eating vacation. We go to lots of different places and eat.

And wow, do we eat.

I don't think I have ever eaten this much in my life, and Piper agrees. Tonight, Piper and I collectively polished off more than 3,000 calories for dinner alone.

We pushed on through a residential neighborhood, looking for a spot to spend the night. We found a city park and asked some police officers if we could pitch a tent for the night. They kindly informed us that we would be robbed and beaten by morning.

We decided to continue heading west, even though it was getting quite dark. I enjoyed riding at night, piercing the cool night air on a road free of the heavy day traffic. And in those last 10 miles, we broke our first Grand.

1,000 miles total.